“When you learn, teach, when you get, give.” - Maya Angelou
Looking for a mentor who is a good fit for you? It is imperative that you choose someone you meld well with and who has the qualities and areas of specialty you need in a teacher. So read on, because I may (or may not) be your gal!
My background and qualifications:
I have my BS Early Childhood and Elementary Education from Penn State University and my Masters in Curriculum and Instruction (Children's Literature). After teaching first and second grade for 8 years, I decided to stay home with my new baby, and that's when I began my photography journey.
I have been shooting and learning since 2010. I began my part-time family photography business, Little Story Studio, in 2012. Currently, I shoot a limited number of family & event documentary sessions. Since 2014, I've taught more than 100 local moms how to capture memories with their DSLRs and phones through my two, in-person Mom's Story workshops.
My writing and/or images have been featured on various blogs (Fearless and Framed, Click, Clickinmoms, Snap Love Grow, Snap Maven, and others), published in the Summer 2017 edition of Click Magazine, and was a 2016 Voice Finalist. I've been an Offset Artist for 2 years. After achieving Click Pro in late 2015, I was recruited by Clickinmoms to write and teach a breakout for them, called The Stories that Make Us. I was named one of the 100 Photographers to Watch in 2017 by Click & Company. I am currently working on more educational material for Click & Company. (TBA!)
- Composition feedback and coaching
- Moment-based, unposed storytelling photography (anywhere in the lifestyle through documentary continuum)
- Low light and indoor photography
- Light seeking and how to use a wide variety of natural and available light
- Finding your voice, style, and themes in your work
- Beginning video and video fusion movies (I work on a mac in imovie.)
- Lightroom Editing
- Business coaching
- Posing/Formal Portraits
- OCF and studio lighting
- Reading- fiction, nonfiction, poetry and especially children's and YA literature. I'd give JK Rowling ALL my $ if she would write more Harry books.
- Gardening in the spring. I lose interest every summer.
- Twinkle lights wherever I can squeeze a strand.
- Ice cream, coffee, pickles, chocolate, and wine with friends.
So there you have it! If you think we would be a good match and if my strengths match up your needs, we should chat! Check out my ideas for how I can help you below. Then fill out the form at the bottom of the page so that we can connect!
I can be your (Metaphorical) Travel Buddy, Straight Talker, or Palm Reader.
How can I help you move forward on Your beautiful & Unique journey?
TRAVEL BUDDY | $300-$900 |
Have a goal? I'll be your (metaphorical) travel buddy! You take the wheel, I'll ride and help you navigate. Whether you are preparing to enter your art in a show or prepping to apply to a professional association, like Click Pro, I'll be your sounding board, gentle nudger, or sharp prodder- whatever you need to help you get there!
Travel Buddy for The Long Haul (6 months) |$900|
- 24 weekly email or private message check-ins*
- 3 face to face Skype or Join-Me chats, up to an hour each.
Travel Buddy for a Short Jaunt (6 weeks) |$300|
- 5 weekly email or private message check-ins*
- 1 initial face to face Skype or Join-Me video chat, up to an hour.
* Check-ins will be based on 1-3 goals that we determine during the first virtual, face to face chat. They can include image or portfolio feedback, editing advice, discussion/trouble shooting, or any of the areas within my strengths, above.
International students' video chats may look differently, depending on technology constraints. (Facetime, Skype, or live Facebook chat)
STRAIGHT TALKER | $150 |
Do you need someone to just give it to you straight?
You submit your portfolio as well as where you hope to be in a year. I'll spend up to an hour reviewing your work and making notes on my own, and then provide a one hour live critique session in which I give you the honest feedback you've been craving, as well as action steps to help you reach your goal + time for back and forth discussion. And you get to keep the notes!
PALM READER | $150 |
Well, not really. ;-) But what if I told you that by carefully examining your images I can help you make sense of your voice as an artist? Your images reveal more about style than you ever knew. I'll show you what I see, and then help point you in a logical direction.
I'll examine your portfolio for an hour by myself and then chat with you live for up to an hour on topics such as: patterns in your work, emerging themes, emerging style, and possible future direction based on what I see.
How Can I help You?
Filling out this form does not commit you to a mentor session. It just allows us to chat more to see if we would make a good fit. :-)